NaNophotoNics items used:
– A red HELMER metal cabinet unit
– Black legs from a TROLLSTA side table
– Knobs from a HEMNES chest of drawers
– Knobs from the LINNARP display cabinet
1. I stripped the drawer unit out of its handles and the small caster wheels underneath.
2. Then I made some stencils out of paper to help with the intricate design.
3. I started to paint one side at a time, using a lot of while doing the different coloured spaces. I used and wax on top of that.
4. Then I sawed a piece of pinewood plank to fit underneath the drawer, so that I have something to secure the legs on.
5. I screwed the plank to the metal cabinet through the existing holes at the base of the HELMER (but from the inside of the unit) and then I screwed the legs on top of the plank from the outside.
6. After that I painted that plank with the same white and gray design as I did on the top of the unit.
7. To make this a unique piece I wanted mismatched knobs and handles, so I took what I had in my drawers.
Now Helmer is ready to join the circus!
~ Maria Thöyrä, Gothenburg, Sweden
Follow Maria on or
You may also like these other designs on the HELMER metal cabinet
Stunning chinoiserie motif on the HELMER. See .
Warm up the metal with leather. See the .